Once a simple choice of paint completely turned my understanding of the repair work. I was surprised and impressed by things we do not know and advantages we lose because of this. However, I will better start my story from the very beginning.
The need to make repair in my apartment rose in front of me gradually, developing from completely random events. Once, at the table, I dropped the pencil on the floor, and when I was lifting it, I saw that the linoleum was already rubbed visibly on the place of the working chair. The wall at the bed twice a day reminded me how unsuccessfully I had gathered to drink coffee in bed in a lordly way. Recently, enjoying a sunny day, I noticed that the wallpaper in front of the window faded and does not look as spectacular as 7 years ago. Yeah, the bachelor’s flat was losing its charm. The time for cosmetic repairs arrived. I decided to make repair with the help of paint.
The first plan was quite simple for me: paint the walls and ceiling, put a laminate on the floor. It seemed so simple that I decided to make repair by myself. After all, I am a man. Moreover, I did not build house, so at least I have to make a repair. Especially I had the experience of fences painting, and the all-knowing YouTube is always ready to help with any questions about work.
Choose a paint – not far to seek
After quick measuring the perimeter of the rooms, I went to the hypermarket to buy the paint. By the way, if you do not pay attention, the rows of paints are simply endless. Well, if I can orient quickly among hundreds of cans with motor oil, then I was just confused among hundreds of cans of paint.
A hired brigade did the first major repair in my apartment. Although I was present at the materials purchasing, in fact, I was only interested in their price. Now, in front of the abundance of choice, even the price has fallen into the background. I thought that there are only two types of paint – façade and interior, for the house or for the street. However, no! For bedrooms and living rooms, for living rooms, for ceilings, interior matt, deep matt, silky … Which one I need? Be sure, labels do not really help. Each indicates that the paint is suitable for living quarters. However, I did not understand why one manufacturer produces five seemingly identical at first glance paints. With a businesslike look, I was pulling banks back and forth, until HE appeared. People, I have always deeply respected the professionalism in any field of activity, but this consultant just won me over with his meticulousness. I will try to reproduce our enlightenment dialogue.
– Where do you plan to make repair?
– In the living room and bedroom.
– Let’s talk about each room separately. What are you going to paint in the living room? Walls or ceiling?
– How do you think is there a risk that the walls in the living room can get dirty?
– Of course! Even more, walls in my bedroom got dirty! I accidentally spill coffee on the walls. Although the wallpaper is washable, the stain remained.
– It happens.) Therefore, you need to choose paints of high wear resistance.
– And what is wear resistance?
– This is the level of strength of the coating that obtained on the wall. If the level is high, then the paint withstands any conditions of exploitation, it cannot be scratched, it does not deteriorate from dampness and cold. If suddenly you spill coffee again, you can quickly wipe it off the wall.
– Great! Yes! I want this paint everywhere! (Well, everything can happens in a bachelor apartment.)
– Well, we have done with this question. What about the gloss? Do you want the walls to be matt or with a light shine?
– “Um … What’s the difference?”
– The paints with gloss and matte paints have different properties. The color is brighter and visible better on shiny surfaces. It is easier to clean them. They do not get so dirty. The coating turns out to be smooth; the dirt simply does not get absorbed into it. Yes, and when you wash the walls, the paint does not lose its appearance.
Matte paints are more porous and absorb dirt more actively. If you spill coffee – the stain, of course, can be washed, but if the surface gets dirty regularly, for example, as it happens in the kitchen, then a beautiful matte finish can be erased with washing. In addition, matte paints hide small irregularities on the surface. Therefore, if you do not have a high quality plastered wall, matte paint hides all the shortcomings. It look beautiful, the walls seem velvety, tactilely pleasing.
I will tell you honestly, I did not just listen to him, but was bend an ear to him. I realized that I had never considered paint in such detail, considering all its practicality.
Here is what I understood from all this:
- I knew almost nothing about paints before and used to buy just what I was given in the store when I asked for quality material to paint something.
- All the shortcomings of the walls can be hided visually with the help of matt paints. It is not about holes from old fasteners, but about uneven walls, which are difficult to hide. Here, the matte paint is your best ally. In addition, it is ideal for those who are too lazy to putty and polish the surface to the state of glass. That is for me.
- Glossy paint can be washed almost like tile. By the way, the all-knowing consultant told me that some paints, such as semi-matt ones by TRIORA, were made in order to provoke competitionwith tile. You can wash it; you can water it – no problems with the coating.
All of the conclusions I immediately outlined to the consultant. It turned out that almost every customer chooses the material, without even thinking about its key properties. We take the color, the brand, the beautiful can or just something our neighbors used. However, in fact, the paint should be selected individually, for a specific room. It is not a fact that what is suitable for your bedroom is suitable for your neighbor kitchen.
What did the experienced consultant say about the paints?
I took it all into these sub-paragraphs:
- Each paint is designed for using under certain conditions:
- on the street;
- in the premises;
- in a dry heated room (living rooms);
- in a damp and unheated room (summer kitchen);
- in a damp room (bathroom);
If you choose a paint not according to the conditions of the room, most likely it would peel off soon. If you are in doubt, it is better to choose a material that is more robust and resistant to the external environment. The only exception is the ceilings. These surfaces are least used in the housing and therefore paint with minimum durability is suitable. I was advised to buy ultra-white paint by TRIORA. By the way, it has special reflecting additives in its composition that is why surface turns out to be super white.
- There is no paint specifically created for each room. Those rooms that are indicated on the labels – it is like a landmark for consumers. If it is written that the paint is suitable for a bedroom, simply analyze what room you use exactly this way.
- Paints can visually hide all the small defects on the surface, like matte or, on the contrary, emphasize them as glossy ones. Estimate your walls and understand what you need. For a relief pattern creation, it is better to use glossy paint, but for flat walls use matte one.
- You can use facade paints in the room. Yes, it is important to know. For example, I realized that I do not want to struggle with the curvature of the walls in the bedroom, and the glossy paint is not for me. Matte facade is a worthy alternative to it. This material is made taking into account all jokes of nature, so that my innocent spilled coffee is a mere trifle for it. Moreover, you can prepare the wall without much effort.
Experienced Buyer Conclusions
So, friends, I want to sum up all of my little repair adventure. Now I know exactly how to choose the right paint for the house. It is enough to ask four key questions:
- What do I need the paint for: ceiling or wall?
- Which room I am going to make repair in? (Bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, etc.)
- Will I ever wash the walls?
- Do I need matt or glossy paint?
Each answer helps to isolate the necessary properties of paints, to avoid mistakes and unexpected surprises of bad application. From personal experience, I realized that any combination of answers helps to find your suitable material.
As a result, I bought the facade paint by TRIORA for the bedroom (!) and half-matt for the living room; tinted them in color studios in noble colors and paint the walls with the help of roller.
Therefore, now I am a repair theorist, and a good practitioner. I managed to repair the walls very well. I like my updated apartment. Moreover, I know for sure that my walls are nothing to fear: whether get a cat, or wife.